• Certificated Substitute Opportunites

    Click here to visit Edjoin
    Employment Opportunities


    Thank you for your interest in Substitute Teaching with Palm Springs Unified School District. We value all of our interested applicants.

    What are the requirements needed to become a Substitute Teacher?

    Upon offer of employment, all applicants must pass a background check, demonstrate good health and have authorization to work in the United States.  Additionally for this position, you must possess the following:

    • Bachelor's Degree or higher
    • CBEST Certificate with a passing score or the equivalent to the requirement in another stateCBEST FLYER
    • Tuberculosis & Physical clearance within 60 days of hire
    • Hold a CA Credential or Substitute Permit or the ability to obtain one

     Do I need a Credential to Substitute Teach?

    Yes, but with the qualifications above, you will qualify for a substitute permit, which is needed to substitute.  If you do not currently hold a CA credential or a substitute permit, Palm Springs Unified will help you acquire the required certification with the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. As the employer, if we are applying for a substitute permit, there are two types of substitute permits we can apply for.

    Option 1: If you have not taken or passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) but hold the minimum requirement of a Bachelor's Degree, we will apply for a Waiver, a permit that allows you to work for up to 1-year, while you take and pass the CBEST exam. 
    Option 2: If you hold a passing score of the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) and hold a Bachelor's Degree, we will apply for a 30-day Substitute Permit. This permit will allow you to teach on a day to day basis but limits you to no more than 30 days of service in any single assignment.   

     You will be requested to provide official sealed transcripts that reflect a Bachelor's degree in order to obtain a permit with the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. 


  • How do I apply to become a Substitute Teacher?

    We hire Substitute Teachers on an as-needed basis throughout the year. 

    Applications are reviewed in the order they are received. After they are reviewed, candidates may receive an email through Edjoin.  If your application is incomplete or missing any of the required documentation, your application will not be considered.  Please remember to review the requirements on the Edjoin posting before submitting your online application.

    For additional information, please email:

    Claudia Crowe, Human Resources Specialist - Certificated Substitutes


    Click here to visit Edjoin
    Employment Opportunities