DLA Program Overview
Desert Learning Academy ("DLA") is a school of choice that strives to ensure families have the resources to make distance learning a positive experience for everyone.
- Most importantly, DLA uses a high quality, rigorous, online learning platform. This system is easy to follow for students and even provides parents and guardians with their own portal for supporting and monitoring their student.
- Highly qualified content teachers are available to support families as well. This support may be a whole group or small group instruction, goal setting, individual Zoom Sessions, or parent support meetings. The academic foundation students will receive at DLA will ensure they are ready for school, college, and beyond.
- Our "hybrid" method of instruction allows students to work on their own schedule during a school week to complete all assigned work.
- Flexibility is also a key part of the DLA program design. This, any time...anywhere instructional model gives families the choice they need in these challenging times. Whether students want to work independently, or need more frequent intervals of support, the program adapts with those changing needs.
Students attending DLA must adhere to the following expectations in order to remain in the program:
- Engage for a minimum of 4 hours each school day on the Edgenuity learning platform (www.edgenuity.com)
- Participate in small group instruction and goal setting meetings at the DLA campus (Palm Springs or Desert Hot Springs):
- A minimum of once per week for all students in grades 9 through 12
- A minimum of twice per week of all students in grades 6 through 8
- A minimum of twice per week for all students in grades K through 5
Satisfactory Academic Progress includes the following:
- Students will maintain a 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA)
- Students will pass 70% of all coursework taken during a semester
- Students will meet 80% course work completion as defined by the lead teacher
- Students will take courses meeting the required curriculum and for High School (defined as A-G)
- Students will participate in and complete all mandatory testing requirements
Edgenuity is the online learning platform DLA uses. Edgenuity provides engaging online and blended learning education solutions. This propels success for every student and empowers every teacher to deliver more effective instruction. Enable schools and districts to meet their academic goals. Edgenuity delivers a range of core curriculum, Advanced Placement Courses, Elective Courses, and Career and Technical Education courses aligned to the rigor and high expectations of state, common core and iNACOL standards and designed to inspire life long learning. Click on the following link to view examples.