• What does an Elementary School Counselor Do?

    My services are available to ALL students, not just those in a crisis. It is my job to help ensure students are able to do their best at school. At times, this can be difficult because many factors go into students doing well in school --- their relationships with peers, teachers, and staff; their ability to focus and pay attention; their ability to understand and manage their feelings and behaviors; sometimes their lives outside of school. These issues can be addressed through classroom guidance lessons, small group counseling and brief individual counseling. There also may be school-wide programs like “Kindness Week.” Students can think of me as someone who helps them solve their own problems. I am an adult at school, with whom students are never “in trouble.”

    How are you different from a therapist or an outside agency?

    Since my services are available to ALL students, I am usually only able to see children briefly (6-8 sessions). I help students address family problems and behaviors at home, but my primary role is to help students deal with school-related problems. Sometimes an issue a student is having might be better addressed more intensively in a therapeutic setting, and with greater direct parental involvement. When outside services are needed, I can help students and families get connected to outside help, like a therapist or other resources and/or services.

    How are students referred to you?

    Parents can click on the Counseling Referral link below and complete the referral form. A signed permission slip is needed and will be sent home once a referral is received. Parents can also pick up a copy of the permission slip from the office. 

    Counseling Referral

    Will you notify me if you see my student?

    Often, students pop in to tell me about relatively minor or time-limited issues like an argument with a peer or the death of a pet.  If that happens, I may not notify you unless: a) there is a safety concern, b) your child has asked to see me repeatedly, or c) if the worry or problem is significant (by adult standards).  If I see that your child could benefit from regular meetings with me, or if I would like to have them in one of my small counseling groups, I will always ask for your written permission.