Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults understand and manage emotion, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
Mindfulness and Meditation Videos and Scripts
- Keep a drawing/writing journal about how you are feeling while at home.
- Create an accomplishment box to identify your accomplishments.
- Feel Wheel Activity: This lesson is a simple daily check in to see how you are doing and feeling. Using a feel wheel, you can indicate how you are doing at that moment or that day without having to say a word.
- Eight-year-old Alyssa reads Julie Berry's Happy Right Now to teach us that the best way to be happy is to embrace the circumstances we find ourselves in every day.
- Make an Observation Station: Students will become nature detectives by setting up their own observation station and taking a few minutes to slow down and notice the world around them.
- Five Senses Exercise: Did you know that you can use all five of your senses while being mindful? This activity can show you how!
- Mindful Coloring: Click on the link to find printable sheets that you can use for a mindful coloring activity.
- Art for Kids Hub: Learn how to draw, paint, fold and sculpt things to bring out your creativity. (This requires access to YouTube)
- https://wedolisten.org/ Howard Wigglebottom animated stories focus on character building and social emotional development. There are also songs to go with each story! There are also posters to print, coloring sheets and other valuable resources on this website.
- Think It, Say It Activity : In this activity, you will practice filtering thoughts, deciding whether I should “think it,” keeping the thought to yourself, or “say it” out loud. This could help you think about how to build positive relationships.
- Join the paper doll movement from Emily's Idea by Christine Evans to spread a message of love, connection, and acceptance. Includes a template to make your own paper doll chain
- Practice taking 5-10 deep breaths. Count in for 3 and out of 3.
- Heartbeat Exercise: As your students monitor their heartbeat and breathing after exercise, they’ll learn to become mindful of how their body feels.
- Pinwheel Breathing: This exercise helps students practice deep breaths by using a pinwheel to show them how.
- MindYeti has several engaging free mindfulness meditations.
- GoNoodle: Helps you get moving with short interactive activities. This will help kids stay engaged and motivated throughout the day. (Access to computer or tablet required).
- Mindful Power: An iOS and Android app that helps kids K-5 build a healthier relationship with life, stress, and anxiety.
- Get some movement with freeze dance. (Access to YouTube will be needed for this activity).
- Five heartwarming activities from author Sarah Jane Hinder that complement Hello, Sun! A Yoga Sun Salutation to Start Your Day—including sunshine stones, a journal, and coloring pages.
- When you're mad or worried or can't wake up in the morning, what can you do? Author Mariam Gates leads kids through six exercises from Breathe with Me: Using Breath to Feel Strong, Calm, and Happy.
- Beachbody Kids Workouts has free videos to help kids stay healthy and sane by offering some fun ways to expend energy. With schools out and no formal recess or P.E., use these workouts to make family fitness fun and a part of your daily routine.
- Guided Meditation in Spanish: You will need access to YouTube for this activity.
- Ninja Focus: A free digital tool based to help kids learn to cope with stress and understand their emotions. In this app you will find guided audio meditations for sleep, focus, mindful eating, and more. There are Yoga Flows & Poses to increase confidence, wake up the body, help with sleep, fight anxiety and more. (Access to Google Play or Apple Store required)
- One-Moment Meditation: On this app you will find simple and clear instructions for a one-minute meditation exercise. (This requires a device with access to the Apple Store)
- Muscle Relaxation: How often are we truly mindful of the muscles in our body? With this activity, children can start practicing mindfulness around how they tense or relax their muscles.
Responsible Decision- Making
- Washing Hands Activities: Find ideas for teaching about how to wash hands properly. This website includes a video, online quizzes, online games, printable activities and more.
- Duolingo: Learn a new language for free. Duolingo lessons adapt to your learning style. Exercises are tailored to help you learn and review vocabulary effectively. (Access to Google Play or Apple Store required)