Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults understand and manage emotion, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
Mindfulness and Meditation Videos and Scripts
- Hot Chocolate Video - Hot Chocolate Script
- The Invisible Backpack Journey Script-
- THE 10 Second Freedom Breath Video-The 10 Second Freedom Breath Script
- an 11-min audio Guided Relaxation Meditation of a progressive-muscle relaxation guidance from head-to-toes.
- a 13-min step-by-step video instruction of relieving emotional stress thru the Law of the Five Elements and the acupressure model from Traditional Chinese Medicine
- a 7-min how to relieve neck and shoulder tension and tightness thru auricular ear massage rooted in Applied Kinesiology and Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Social Emotional Support
- Keep a drawing/writing journal about how you are feeling while at home.
- Practice taking 5-10 deep breaths. Count in for 3 and out of 3.
- KidsHealth has age-appropriate resources for mental and physical health.
- MindYeti has several engaging free mindfulness meditations.
- Art for Kids Hub: Learn how to draw, paint, fold and sculpt things to bring out your creativity. (This requires access to YouTube)
- Smiling Mind App is a free app that has various guided meditation options which can help eliminate your negative thoughts and focus on positivity. This app is evidence based and has various curriculum that could be used in classrooms. (This requires a device that has access to the Apple Store or Google Play) .
- Create a gratitude jar and add statements to the jar every day.
- Identify your strengths through an art project.
- Feeling word game: watch the video and identify how the child is feeling.
- Identity Poem Lesson: This lesson provides an opportunity for students to learn more about poetry, understand the role of metaphors and comparisons in poetry and reflect on aspects of their identity in order to write an acrostic poem about themselves.
- Make an Observation Station: Students will become nature detectives by setting up their own observation station and taking a few minutes to slow down and notice the world around them.
- GoNoodle: Helps you get moving with short interactive activities. This will help kids stay engaged and motivated throughout the day. (Access to computer or tablet required).
- Mindful Power: An iOS and Android app that helps kids K-5 build a healthier relationship with life, stress, and anxiety.
- Guided Meditation in Spanish: You will need access to YouTube for this activity.
- One-Moment Meditation: On this app you will find simple and clear instructions for a one-minute meditation exercise. (This requires a device with access to the Apple Store)
- Smiling Mind App is a free app that invites students to practice making decisions through meditation. This app is evidence based and has various curriculum that could be used in classrooms. (This requires a device that uses Apple or Android) .
- Duolingo: Learn a new language for free. Duolingo lessons adapt to your learning style. Exercises are tailored to help you learn and review vocabulary effectively. (Access to Google Play or Apple Store required)