In attendance were: Brian Hendra, Veronica Silva, Shawn Kirby, Jason Powell, Allyson Boylan, Patricia Warren, Brianne Schuld, Dee Dee Wilson Barton, Lawna Noble, Mia Scott, Melisa Figueroa
Absent: Silvia Signoret
Public: PSHS Math Teacher Ashley Fitzgerald
Handouts: Agenda, Meeting Minutes from 9/17/19 Meeting, LCFF and Title 1 Funding/Expense Breakdowns.
Call Meeting to Order: The meeting was called to order at 3:35pm by 2019-20 School Year Chairwoman Lawna Noble.
Public Comments: None
Review and approval of minutes from September 17th, 2019 School Site Council meeting: The minutes from the September 17th, 2019 meeting were reviewed by the council. Allyson Boylan presented a motion to approve the September 17th, 2019 minutes as presented with Veronica Silva seconding the motion. The minutes were unanimously approved by the council.
Safety Committee and Safe School Plan: Assistant Principal Joddi Demarco spoke about the PSHS Safety Committee which is comprised of Certificated, Classified, Local Law Enforcement and Administrative team members. We also welcome students and parents to be involved in this meeting. Chairwoman Lawna Noble, Vice Chairwoman Mia Scott and Site Council Student Representative Melisa Figueroa all expressed interested in being on the School Safety Committee. The role of the Safety Committee is to create/revise the yearly Safe School Plan. The new Safe School Plan is due to the District Office before the Holiday Break for final approval, With the recent school shootings in California and across the nation it is more important than ever to make sure that we are prepared should such an instance arise.
Superintendent/Student/Parent Talk Feedback Mr. Hendra elaborated on what was brought up to the Superintendent during these meetings. Student Safety is a number one concern for parents. Although we do have regular evacuation drills, Administration feels that is necessary to have alternative evacuation locations. We need to be less predictable. We want to eliminate see through glass in the classrooms and are looking at glass covering that you can see out but not in. We do conduct random searches throughout the school year. Mr. Hendra also mentioned that students, as a whole, like the choice of classes available at PSHS but certain teachers are less friendly than others. He feels that maybe teachers should start greeting students at the door at the start of class. We need to say “Hello” to everyone…make a connection with students. Counselors should be out on campus introducing themselves to students too.
Data (Discipline and Attendance)
Assistant Principal Joddi Demarco briefly discussed Discipline data. The trends are good. We need to better train teachers and security guards how to with discipline problems. Parent Representative Dee Dee Wilson Barton asked that at the next meeting if the data could be more specific. That percentages of each demographic could be listed as a portion of how many total students in each demographic have discipline incidents as compared to the total population of that specific demographic. We need to support those students that have the most discipline and attendance problems.
Title 1 & LCFF Budget update (Handout) The current accounting for each budget was provided.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:32pm by Chairwoman Lawna Noble. The next meeting will be February 24th, 2019.
In attendance were: Brian Hendra, Veronica Silva, Shawn Kirby, Jason Powell, Allyson Boylan, Patricia Warren, Brianne Schuld, Silvia Signoret, Lawna Noble, Mia Scott, Melisa Figueroa
Absent: Dee Dee Wilson Barton
Public: PSHS Counselor Rosa Corona and Students from Friday Night Live Club
Handouts: Agenda, Meeting Minutes from 4/30/19 Meeting, LCFF and Title 1 Funding/Expense Breakdowns.
1. Call Meeting to Order: The meeting was called to order at 3:35pm by 2018-19 School Year Vice Chairwoman Lawna Noble.
2. Public Comments: None
3. Mandatory Training with Director of State & Federal Programs Mr. Mark Arnold: Mr. Arnold made a Power Point presentation of role of the School Site Council.
4. Review and approval of minutes from April 30th, 2019 School Site Council meeting: The minutes from the April 30th, 2019 meeting were reviewed by the council. Veronica Silva presented a motion to approve the April 30th, 2019 minutes as presented with Silvia Signoret seconding the motion. The minutes were unanimously approved by the council.
5. Funding Proposal - Friday Night Live Club: PSHS Counselor Rosa Corona introduced PSHS Students Leaders; Zulma Cervantes and Maryrose Godoy Bautista who presented a request for funding of Fifteen Hundred Dollars ($1,500). The students presented information on the Friday Night Live club. It is a student group that concentrates in alcohol and drug awareness, its goal is to build partnerships for positive and healthy youth development, which engages youth as active leaders and resources in their community. Adults provide guidance and peers provide support. The group is asking for funding for their leadership conference in Idyllwild on March 13 – 15, 2020.
6. Revised 2019-20 SPSA Spending Plan
Title 1 – We have received $12,069.00 in additional Title 1 funding and $579.00 in additional Title 1 Parent Involvement funding. Mr. Hendra proposed to the council that we allocate $1,500.00 of the $12,069.00 to cover the Friday Night Live funding request with the remainder of $10,569.00 being divided as follows: 60% ($6,342.00) to Materials & Supplies and 40% ($4227.00) to Professional Development. Mr. Hendra proposed to the council that the additional Title 1 Parent Involvement funding of $597.00 be allocated to Materials & Supplies. Silvia Signoret presented a motion to approve the allocation of additional Title 1 and Title 1 Parent Involvement as proposed by Mr. Hendra with Dr. Jason Powell seconding the motion. The additional Title 1 and Title 1 Parent Involvement allocation plan was unanimously approved by the council.
Mr. Hendra briefly went over preliminary SBAC Test Score data
8. Selection of 2019-20 Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and Secretary
Lawna Noble was nominated as Chairwoman. Patricia Warren presented a motion to have Lawna Noble serve as Chairwoman for the 2019-20 School Site Council with Mia Scott seconding the motion.
Mia Scott was nominated as Vice Chairwoman. Lawna Noble presented a motion to have Mia Scott serve as Vice Chairwoman for the 2019-20 School Site Council with Patricia Warren seconding the motion.
Patricia Warren was nominated as Secretary. Brian Hendra presented a motion to have Patricia Warren serve as Secretary for the 2019-20 School Site Council with Silvia Signoret seconding the motion.
9. Schedule meeting dates for the 2019-20 School Year
Mr. Hendra presented the following possible meeting dates:
October 21st, December 2nd, February 24th, April 27th
Meeting times at 3:15pm
10. The meeting was adjourned at 4:19pm by Chairwoman Lawna Noble.