What is the difference between the FAFSA and the California Dream Act application?

Posted by:

Students should only complete one of the applications (not both), according to the citizenship requirements below:

1. You are eligible to complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov if you are a:

• U.S Citizen • Permanent Resident • Eligible non-citizen • T Visa holder

2. You are eligible to complete the CADAA at https://dream.csac.ca.gov if you are:

• Undocumented • Have a valid or expired DACA • U Visa holders • Have Temporary Protected Status (TPS) • Meet the non-resident exemption requirements under AB 540

Note: If you have further questions, including how to ensure you are completing the correct financial aid application, you can visit the Immigrants Rising website and review the document titled, “FAFSA VS CA Dream Act: Apply to the Correct Financial Aid,” at https://immigrantsrising.org/resource/fafsa-vs-ca-dream-act-apply-to-the-correct-financial-aid-inca/