Strengthening Famiies / Fortaleciendo Familias
Strengthening Families is a research-informed approach to increase family strengths, enhance child development, and reduce the likelihood of child abuse and neglect. It is based on engaging families, programs, and communities in building five key Protective Factors. It is a program for parents and children ages 3-5, 6-11 and 12-16 in higher risk families. SFP consists of parenting skills, children's life skills, and family skills training courses taught together in fourteen 2-hours group sessions preceded by a meal that includes informal family practice time and group leader coaching. SFP was designed in 14 sessions to assure sufficient dosage to promote behavior change in high risk families.
Educate, Equip and Support / Educar, Equipar y Apoyar
The EES Education program is offered to parents/ caregivers raising a child/ youth with mental health and/or emotional challenges. Classes are designed to provide parents/ caregivers with general education about children’;s mental health challenges, parent to parent support and community resources. General education on the following: recognizing and coping with grief, Brain Development & Diagnosis, Mental Health & Medication Treatment, Childhood Depression, Childhood Anxiety, Conduct Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity (ADHD), Bipolar Disorder & Schizophrenia, Eating Disorders, Non suicidal self injury (NSSI), accessing mental health treatment, schools and special education, child welfare and probation.
Courage to Speak/ Valor de Hablar
This 5 week course is a multi-session substance abuse education and preventing program providing parents with the knowledge of how to keep children safe.
This Program Covers:
- Teaching Drug Refusal Skills
- Understanding Emotional Pain and Teaching Children
- How to Cope
- Knowing the Signs of Drug Use
- Effective Communication and Listening Strategies with Children Around Drugs
- Protective Psychological and Developmental Factors
- Helping Your Child Handle Stress
- Practical Steps to Take if Use is Suspected
- Parent Resources on Where to Find Help And More
Courage to Speak/
NEW Free Online Parent Drug Prevention Training Program
Under the 2018-2020 State Opioid Response Grant, the Courage to Speak® Foundation was asked to adapt their live parent drug prevention education program, Courage to Speak – Courageous Parenting 101® “Parenting Through the Opioid Crisis and Beyond”, into an interactive Online Training Program.
- Knowledge about the dangers of drugs
- Confidence in knowing how to talk to their teens about drugs
- Understanding the importance of talking to children about drugs
- Knowledge in how to recognize if their child was using drugs
- Confidence in teaching their children how to refuse drugs
Accessible from anywhere at any time, parents will have the ability to login to their platform and complete a skills-based training on their own schedule. How? Through video lessons, infomative presentations, handouts and interactive activities, parents learn the knowledge and skills they need to keep their children safe from drug use.
Access the Program
Triple P is a positive parenting program available to families with children ages 2-12 years of age. Triple P focuses on developing positive attitudes, skills and behaviors. This program helps families to problem solve and foster relationships that will encourage children to realize their full potential. Triple P suggests simple routines and small changes that helps you understand the way your family works. The program incorporates the things you already say, think and feel in new ways that:
- Create a stable, supportive and harmonious family.
- Encourage appropriate behavior.
- Deal positively, consistently and decisively with problem behavior.
- Build positive relationships with your children, so that conflict can be resolved.
- Plan ahead to avoid or manage potentially difficult situations.
- Take care of yourself as a parent.
Nurturing Parenting / Crianza con Cariño
Nurturing Parenting is an interactive 10-week course that will help you better understand your role as a parent. It helps strengthen your relationship and bond with your child. Learn new strategies and skills to improve your child's behavior. Learn how to take care of yourself as a parent. The lessons include:
- The philosophy and practices of Foster with Affection
- Ages and stages of the development of children from birth to three years of age.
- How to promote positive brain development in children and adolescents.
- How to communicate with respect
- How to strengthen our feelings of worth
- How to understand feelings
- How to develop the moral, values and rules of the family
- How to praise children and their good behavior
- Discipline without hitting. Alternatives
- How to handle stress